Thursday, October 20, 2016

Black Poz Inmate Michael Johnson's New Letter


It was both heartbreaking and heartwarming to read the August letter, recently arrived, from my prisoner pen-pal Michael Johnson. He's the young gay, black and HIV poz Missouri student serving an unjust and outrageous 30-year sentence for criminal transmission of the virus.

I don't know why it took so long for the letter to be mailed but as with any correspondence from Michael, it's always good to hear from him.

What breaks my heart is reading how much he appreciates receiving my letters and cards to him, because it's a link to a person on the outside who hasn't forgotten about and cares for his well-being.

When Michael writes about finding the good in people, having no shame about being gay and living with HIV, cheers me up a bit about his life inside the criminal justice system.

I send him mail often, either letters or news clippings of articles that may be of interest to him or friendship cards, regardless of knowing if it all reaches him. The important thing is to keep paper flowing to him.

Glad to know at the time of the August letter, Michael was in good health and spirits.

No comments: