Tuesday, May 29, 2012

NZ Amb.'s Tweet on Gay Teen Bashing;
Locals Want to Work With Huebner


I heard back from our ambassador regarding the recent bashing of gay New Zealand teen Zakk d'Larte, which I blogged about here. Out and proud Amb. David Huebner wrote:

Thank you for the note. I have been in transit back to NZ from DC where I spent the last week on business, so I had not seen the story you flagged. I will retweet it with a comment. Thanks for calling it to my attention. My Ambassador twitter feed is @davidhuebner . I use the feed to curate stories of interest or importance that might not be being picked up by mainstream media. I regularly tweet or retweet stories suggested by my readers, particularly those who live here in NZ. 

Huebner's quick retweet with the note that "It's 2012. Not acceptable." brings a new level of attention the d'Larte attack, for which I thank the ambassador.

I also received a reply from Sam Shore, of the WTF campaign that is patterned after the It Gets Better endeavor, alerting him to my outreach with Huebner. Shore said:

Thank you so much for your email and your sign of support, it means a great deal to us. We are currently tackling through our campaign varying forms of discrimination, discrimination like poor Zakk faced on the weekend. We hope that with a great enough push and support from our communities these initiatives will be far reaching and change making. President Obama's speech on marriage equality resonated very strongly over here and i would like to extend our thanks. To see America's leader take such a brave stance was uplifting and inspiring for many people around the world. Thank you for keeping us in the loop with your ambassador. We would love to hear of any thought he might have in how we can work together going forward.

I've shared the message from Shore with Huebner and soon hope they'll be in communication with each other, and making plans for future collaborations. That might be one good thing to come out of the terrible violence against d'Larte.

No comments: