Tuesday, January 31, 2012

ACT UP's 'United in Anger'
Opens MOMA's Doc Fest on Feb 16



My old friends Sarah Schulman and Jim Hubbard, the co-directors of "United in Anger", a film about the extraordinary work of the people in ACT UP and our activism that saved lives, today announced that their film soon premieres at MOMA's prestigious doc fest and on it's first night. Congrats Sarah and Jim!

Wish I could be there for the debut, at one of my cherished still-operating theaters where I spent many hours in the 1980s, and experience the audience's reactions. Full disclosure: I was interviewed for the film and appear in it.

All you folks in the New York City area who give a damn about AIDS and the ACT UP story, and anyone keen to learn how that dark and deadly era is being memorialized in the popular culture, should purchase tickets now and after you've seen "United in Anger" share your opinion of it with me.

From Sarah and Jim:

We are thrilled that our film will be the opening night of the Museum of Modern Art's Documentary Fortnight festival. We hope you'll join us! We'll both be there to present the film, and for a Q&A afterwards.

United in Anger World Premiere
Documentary Fortnight 2012: 
MoMA's International Festival of Nonfiction Film and Media
Thursday, February 16, 2012
8:00 PM
The Titus One Theater
11 West 53rd Street, New York, NY

United in Anger: A History of ACT UP is an inspiring documentary about the birth and life of the AIDS activist movement from the perspective of the people in the trenches fighting the epidemic. Utilizing oral histories of members of ACT UP, as well as rare archival footage, the film depicts the efforts of ACT UP as it battles corporate greed, social indifference, and government neglect.

3 comments:

Ang said...

Extraordinary ! Love the beret and look forward to seeing the film. It's an important story.

Lonnie L said...

I am checking out the video on Vimeo and I'm wondering why the comment about "Before there was the Occupy Movement there was ACT UP." I recall another article with a bitchy tone about ACT UP protesting on Wall Street before Occupy. I was a child during ACT UP's hey day, so I'm wondering what the hell these comments are supposed to mean. In my political tradition, we would be THRILLED that another generation is using our tactics and targets to further social justice, but it sounds to me like the middle class warriors of ACT UP are more interested in praise than change. Am I missing something?

Slavistix Translation Services said...

I am eager to see the movie, very interesting topic, but there is no big choice of quality movies, unfortunately.