Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Straight Man Posts Pro-Gay
Comment to State Dept Blog

Last May I found an incredible essay on the web about the murder and torture of Iraqi gays, written by Johnny Simpson, a straight writer from New Hampshire. He called the dire situation faced by homosexuals in Baghdad as a holocaust. On my blog, I called him a blowhard from the right, he saw my post, liked it, appreciated my upfront nature, and thus began an online friendship between us.

I heard from Johnny today, because he read my recent post, asking readers to share gay-specific comments and recommendations at a State Department blog, where the question of what the department should place at the top of the 2010 agenda is under debate. This is his note, explaining his action on behalf of global gays:

Took your recommendation and posted an entry at State's blog on LGBT rights, particularly in the Middle East where they are basically nonexistent. Even linked my interview of Arsham Parsi of IRQR to put a human face on it. To tell the truth, be it Republican or Democrat administrations, I have been quite unhappy my entire adult life at the American government's pathetic lack of addressing human rights issues for diplomatic, political or economic expediency. That is not who we should be as a nation or a people, not by a country mile.

Anyway, did as you asked. Haven't been following a lot of LGBT issues lately as I'm busy wrapping some personal writing projects, but I do check in from time to time. Glad to see you're still at it. For all of the LGBT blogs I've come in contact with the past two years as I've reported on the LGBT horror shows in Iran and Iraq, I believe your blogging and reporting is some of the best out there. You have no fear going where most gay advocates fear to tread. Even though I'm straight, I like men with big balls, LOL! You got 'em :)

Sure enough, Johnny has made pro-gay human rights remarks at State's Dip Note blog, and I extend thanks to him for taking the time to lobby our federal government to take more actions on behalf of gays worldwide. I like straight men such as Johnny, especially when they advocate for the dignity and protections of gay people abroad. Thank you, Johnny.

But he's not the only person who has visited the Dip Note post on 2010's agenda for the State Department. Ten comments on gay matters have been posted there, including messages from the Netherlands, Poland and Spain. I am grateful to all who've left gay-related messages for our diplomats to read and believe the notes will improve the department's responses and actions regarding gay human rights.

I implore you to cruise on over to the Dip Note post, and submit new comments on foreign gay issues. It is incumbent upon all of us, regardless of sexual orientation or political party affiliation, to use State's public diplomacy tools and wage a campaign for the gay citizens of our small world.

Click here to share your thoughts with America's diplomatic corps. Do it for gay Ugandan, Malawians, Iraqis, Russians, Jamaicans, Hondurans, and all the rest of our brothers and sisters.

No comments: