Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pugno Sweats, Schubert Close Up;
Day 2 Prop 8 Trial Pressers

My butt was not down at the federal trial today. I stayed home, caught lots of rest, drank pints of water, and caught up on a lot of the fantastic coverage -- Tweets, blogs, gay papers, AP wire -- from the first day's proceeding. Davina Kotulksi from the Marriage Equality USA org took advantage of my press pass, and sat in Judge Walker's courtroom on Day 2.

I did make down to the federal courthouse for the late afternoon pressers, and snapped lots of pics. Caught the last ten minutes of today's court hearing, chatted with the other writers, before each side spoke to the press.

Something struck me with awe at our opponent's presser, and I must correct a belief I expressed yesterday. I said I believed homosexuality was on trial, not same-sex marriage, in and of itself, and that was how I felt after our lawyers, Ted Olson and David Boies, questioned our heroic plaintiffs. I was wrong.

Now, after listening to one of the lead opposing lawyers, the ProtectMarriage.com counselor Andrew Pugno, proclaim the alleged disaster of our side's expert witnesses today, I see homophobia on trial. The irrationality of Pugno's remarks at the presser rang loud and queer in my ears.

Whether it's Charles Cooper or Pugno explaining their legal strategy and arguments, they transport me back a century or two.

Since the plaintiff side held the first presser, I'll start with their pics:


Chad Griffin, originator of the suit; lawyers Theodore Boutrous, Therese Stewart

Chad Griffin

The other side:

After reading a statement, defense attorney Andy Pugno wipes the sweat off his brow

Yes on 8 consultant Frank Schubert

Some of the media folks:

LA-based reporter Karen Ocamb, covering for her blog LGBT POV

Scott Shafer, is blogging for KQED's California Report

Davina Kotulski's posts are at Bilerico.com

The assembled members of the press and blogosphere

No comments: