Thursday, August 13, 2009

HRW Releases Gay Iraqi Report
in Beirut August 17


The issue of how American gays respond to the desperate plight of Iraq's gay citizens and refugees is one that is just beginning. I'm proud that in my city, activists and politicians have staged protests and raised funds to help our brothers and sisters. At times, it feels as though both the war the USA launched on Iraq, and the gay situation over there, have been going on for more than a decade. And for the American LGBT community, I believe our engagement with gay Iraqis and their needs is just beginning.

Next week, Human Rights Watch will release a report on gay Iraq and I'll be sending a few questions to their press office, to be read at the news conference in Lebanon. Here is the exchange I had with HRW:

I am seeking info about the release on August 17 of HRW's report on gay Iraqis and their plight. There a few questions I hope you can address for me today.

1. Where will HRW hold a news conference for the report's release?

2. Will the report be published in English and other languages, including Arabic and French?

3. Is there any way news bloggers such as myself can submit question over the phone or via email during the presser next week?

Looking forward to your response and the release of the report.

This was the response:

Thanks for your note. Yes, there will be a news conference in Beirut next week. The news release and report will be issued in both Arabic and English. But unfortunately, we’re not so technologically savvy as to be able to take remote questions at the news conference.

thanks and best,
Brian Griffey
Senior Communications Associate
Human Rights Watch

No comments: