Monday, January 26, 2009


Hitting the Half-Century Mark;
I'm 50 and Fabulous!

Today is my fiftieth birthday and I feel I've earned every beautiful wrinkle and gorgeous gray hair in my modified 'hawk hairdo - by living a great life for half a century.

(Actually, in gay years, I really hit 50 back when I was 35, but that's another story!)

The days leading up to today have been an emotional seesaw; lots of elation, a small degree of sadness, true appreciation for my family and big circle of terrific friends, and much happiness being alive.

This morning, I received the best present, actually, a gift I've enjoyed since June 1995 - a smile and lots of love from my incredible partner Mike Merrigan.

He has stayed at my side through good times and bad, without a piece of paper from the marriage bureau keeping us together.

After many great years together, I say, with all honest and simplicity, I look forward to and appreciate every day, knowing Mike is my partner and can bring a smile to face, and tons of pleasure living with him. Big thanks to Big Mike!

So, on this 50th birthday I am giving readers of my blog a present - the photo of Mike and I in NYC in the fall. We had just finished a fantastic meal full of delicious laughter with my sister Angela, who snapped the photo of us love-bears.

Happy birthdays wishes also go out to TV host Ellen Degeneres, radical political activist Angela Davis, and the country of Australia! Blessings to all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations from germany to your 50, dear michael :-)
some 4 weeks, and ist my 50, also ...
greetings from berlin, all the best
ulli

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

You two have always been a beautiful couple -- congratulations and Happy Birthday! Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mike. You are the nicest thorn in the side I have ever known. You are brilliant, smart, persistent, creative, courageous, passionate and above all generous and selfless. I am honored to know you and count you as a friend.

Love
Clinton

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday from gay.pl! http://gay.pl/tekst.php?id=7896
Slawek

Miki said...

Fifty is a great birthday. I am glad you are enjoying your's to the fullest.

That's funny about being 50 at 35. I have said Gay men age in dog years for the longest - referring to the same sex object ageism that women face with so many men.

So many of my Gay men friends are just foxier and sexier at and over fifty than they were when they were pups...at least my discerning eye. It has something to do with that knowing twinkle in the eyes.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Michael!!!

Eat LOTS of BD cake - that is some of the most fun of having BDs!

When I turned 50, twenty-one a half years ago, it was a traumatic experience and I felt I was really over the hill, but I was wrong and I feel the last 21 1/2 years have been my most productive.

You have done some absolutely wonderful (make that GREAT things) your first 50 years, The next 50 are going to be even more productive.

We will still have the religious bigots, our own gay assimilationists along with all the many other things we have taken a stand for/against.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated B-Day Dear One...
Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Michael! You provide a wonderful service to the community; keep up the good work! Many happy returns of the day. We are all grateful to you for loving our community enough to challenge it, ask the tough questions, cut the crap, seek the truth, reward the courageous, confront the incompetent and hypocritical, and move us all forward. Celebrate!