Wednesday, November 12, 2008


No on 8 Leaders:
Why We Didn't Debate Yes Forces


At the end of October, after I learned the No on 8 leadership had declined an invitation from the Yes on 8 people to collaborate on a TV debate before the election, I wrote a post taking these leaders to task for not seizing the opportunity. I pointed out that a large contributing factor to the defeat of the Briggs Initiative in the 1970s was Harvey Milk's many debates with the opponents.

So, not only did we have gays missing from the No side's TV commercials, and gay marriage was not defended as healthy and beneficial to CA and society, but the No leaders had no interest in demolishing our opponents in debates. Guess the strategy of No leaders was to preach to the choir.

I get the sense from these replies from key people on the executive committee of the No on 8 effort, that the only way they would have debated is if a flower-strewn red carpet were laid before them. Oh, and if they could pick their opponents.

Let me say this about Sarah Palin: She showed up for her televised debate.

What really intrigues me is Kate Kendell saying how seeing one of the Briggs debates changed her life. Someone should point out to her that she had the same chance to maybe change another baby dyke's life in Utah, if she had had the courage to debate the Yes people.

Here are the replies from three of the top No leaders:

1.
Thanks to the miracle of modern television and radio one needn’t travel all over the state to debate our opponents. Many of us have debated our opposition over a dozen times in the past two weeks—reaching hundreds of thousands of voters. The letter to debate was a stunt and the campaign treated it as such. We have all tried to channel the wit and intelligence of Harvey in exposing the ridiculousness of our opposition—with some success. We all hope for the same outcome, now 30 years later.

I'm happy to say more Michael. If we had really believed in this new media age that debates would have been actally televised and moved the voters we needed to move. I would have been first in line.

I was 18 sitting in my homophobic uncle's house in utah when I saw a clip of sally gearhart debating john briggs. For this baby dyke who was not out, it changed my life and future. If I thought we could have done that again, I would have never unpacked my suitcase.

kate


2.
Ha! To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt:

A critic says nothing, produces nothing, contributes nothing to the greater good and takes credit where none is due. The critic has no followers and does not lead.

I would rather be in the trenches with the women and men who risk all, battle ferociously, win sometimes and lose often. Through earnestness, courage, blood and sweat - they give all they have for the greater good and are overlooked and unsung. To them is given the harshest criticism and finger pointing. Glory may escape their deeds but a sense of self esteem is their reward for doing esteemable acts.

I have the greatest sense of self worth and nobility to have served with each of you - whatever the outcome Tuesday. You will forever inhabit my soul and spirit because of your bravery and selflessness.

With deep admiration,

John Duran


3.
Completely ridiculous not to mention revisionist history.
And, it's too bad he didn't post the entire text of Steve's letter, which was GREAT!

Lorri Jean

Hey, Lorri Jean. I'm not the publicist for you or the No forces. Click here to read the contents of the letter Jean found so "great."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is completely ridiculous is the failure of the No campaign to use the L word: lies. The Yes side lied its way to victory, and our side let the liars control the debate.

However, in the absence of a reincarnated Harvey, I guess that's really the best we could do.

Or maybe we are all Harvey.