Monday, November 07, 2005

CDC: Latest Flu Weekly Report & U.S. Map

Like many people living with AIDS and fewer than 300 t-cells, my doctor gives me a flu shot as soon as they arrive at the clinic. This year, I had my flu shot in early October and hope this coming winter will be flu-free for me.

Out of curiosity, lately I've been poking around the Centers for Disease Control's web page for flu information, just to monitor the federal government's prevention and surveillance of the flu.

One of the most interesting parts of the CDC's flu page and weekly updates is the map of the U.S., showing flu activity in shades of different colors, worthy of style queen.

Back in early October, there basically was no flu activity in any state, except Idaho, which was shaded in light purple, meaning there had been local cases reported to health authorities.

Now, fourteen states are shaded pastel green, indicating there's been sporadic flu activity.

I fear that as the flu season progresses, many more states will be colored dark red, signifying widespread flu cases.

Let's hope the CDC flu experts bring the weekly updated reports and U.S. map to the attention of policymakers in Washington. I'd hate to think this information is not closely monitored by the White House and Congress.

No comments: