Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Many thanks to all who have written to me about the pleasevote.com ad in The Nation this week, pointing out the work is an appropriation of a famous painting by Goya, "Saturn Devouring one of his Children."

To see Goya's original art work, along with an explanation of it, go to this site.

The ad, by sculptor Richard Serra, is capturing the attention of voters and pundits on the left and right.

Speaking of Serra, none other than First Lady Laura Bush is a fan of one of his works in the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.

At a February 2003 event for the museum, Laura Bush said, "Art doesn't just hang in the Modern - it comes to life. Richard Serra's Vortex 2002, is a wonderful welcome to the museum. I enjoyed seeing Jackson Pollock's Masqued Image. And given my fondness for books, I, of course loved Anselm Kiefer's giant book." (Source: White House site.)

I wonder how she feels about Serra's new work in The Nation ad, featuring her husband.

No comments: