Monday, April 14, 2003

HUMAN RIGHTS COMPLAINT FILED AGAINST STOP AIDS PROJECT

[The following letter has been sent via snail mail to the San Francisco Human Rights Commission.]


April 14, 2003

Virginia Harmon, Executive Director
Human Rights Commission
25 Van Ness Avenue, 8th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102


Dear Ms. Harmon:

In Roman Polanski’s Oscar-winning film “The Pianist,” there is a scene that deeply affected me when I recently saw it. The protagonist and a woman friend want to eat in a restaurant, but can’t because of the prominent sign at the entrance, for all to see. It said: No Jews Allowed. Just one of myriad ways the Nazis subjugated the Jews and conferred less than-human status on them.

This scene resonated inside my gut because of how I am treated by the Stop AIDS Project and their demonizing campaigns against me, all because I want answers about their failing HIV prevention programs and workshops, paid for with millions in federal and city funding.

At a recent gay community forum, paid for with grants from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, held at the gay and lesbian Community Center on Market Street, the Stop AIDS Project debated the merits, or lack thereof, of their “HIV is no picnic” social marketing campaign. My friend Rick Gerharter, a noted gay photojournalist, attended the January 22 forum and took a photo of the sign, which was hung notably at eye level so no attendee could miss it.

This is the full text of the offensive sign:

“IMPORTANT NOTICE

“Because of history of violent acts against people in our community and their harassment and disruption of Stop AIDS Project events, [t]he following groups and individuals are not welcome at this Positive Force Event.

“ACT UP San Francisco
Queer Nation SF
& Michael Petrelis

“Additionally, any individuals engaging in disruptive, threatening or violent behavior will be asked to leave immediately.

“This is your only notice. If you do not leave the premises – you are trespassing, if the police called charges will be pursued.”

For your information, I have not committed any violent acts against Stop AIDS Project, nor am I a member of either ACT UP San Francisco or Queer Nation SF, and I think I have been libeled by the project and their allegations, for which I would like an apology.

The Human Rights Commission is hereby formally asked to investigate the following matters on my behalf, to determine if my human rights have been in any way jeopardized or violated by the sign and hateful treatment by a government funded HIV prevention group, desperate to hold on to its government money.

Here are my questions for the commission:

1. Since the CDC fully funds the Positive Force division of the Stop AIDS Project, were any federal used to create the sign? If so, how much taxpayer money went into the production, design and copying costs of the sign?
2. The City’s General Fund also contributes to the management and programmatic costs of the project. Were any General Funds used to make the sign, and if yes, how much city money was spent for this purpose?
3. With no restraining orders in place between the Stop AIDS Project and myself, and certainly no convictions or charges of violent behavior on my part toward the agency and its employees, is it legal for the project to preempt my attendance at CDC funded HIV prevention forums for gay men in San Francisco?

Also, I would like the commission to force the Stop AIDS Project to immediately cease and desist from posting the hateful sign at each of their public forums.

I look forward to a prompt reply from you regarding my complaint.

Regards,


Michael Petrelis
2215-R Market Street, #413
San Francisco, CA 94114

Cc:
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Dr. Dave Weldon, U.S. House of Representatives
Darlene Weide, Stop AIDS Project

Enclosure:
Color photograph of the demonizing Stop AIDS Project sign

No comments: